After my Scotch-Brite giveaway post yesterday, I started thinking about other green cleaners I use when white vinegar won’t do (or I am feeling lazy). Here are my top ten green home cleaners. They make it easy to go non-toxic.
1. Microfiber cloths: You probably already know about these but if not, get yourself a pack and never look back. They make dusting a snap and you don’t have to worry about inhaling a spray. Plus they are completely safe for kids to use.
2. Steam Mop: This household is ridden with allergies so hard floors are a must. Instead of risking build up, we use a steam mop to clean and disinfect our floors. We have “>this one and we have only had one hiccup in two years (and Bissel sent us a new one!) Unlike the ones with disposable cloths, you can use the mop heads again and again. Just run them through the washing machine.
3. Skoy cloth: Love this wonder cloth. According to the company, One Skoy cloth saves 15 rolls of paper towels. We use them in the sink and wash them in the washing machine to clean them. When we’re done, we just throw them in the compost because they are 100% biodegradable.
4. Ecover Automatic Dishwashing Tablets: I have always had dishwasher issues. But once we started using these tablets our spots have all but disappeared. I love that I can buy them in bulk because I am constantly running out of them. They contain chlorine or chemical residues (so they don’t pollute the water supply) and are safe for septic tanks.
5. Seventh Generation Dish Liquid: Most of our cleaning products are fragrance free but I make an exception for Seventh Generation’s lavender scented dish soap because I hate doing dishes and this makes it so much more pleasant. Plus it cuts grease like a dream. It contains no artificial or petroleum-based ingredients and is Biodegradeable and non-toxic.
6. Method Hand Soap: Since Method came out I have tried and loved most of their hand soaps. They use natural based ingredients, no antibacterials, and smell fantastic (thanks to essential oils.) A current favorite is the Minnie and Mickey shaped soap bottles. They make my kids excited about washing their hands without any gimmicks or weird colors.
7. The Sun: Free and almost always available (unless you live in the Pacific Northwest), the sun is the best stain remover I know. Got a stubborn spot? Stick it in direct sunlight for a few hours and it will be faded or gone.
8. Bon Ami All Purpose Spray: I have raved before about this natural (and great smelling counter spray). It’s nontoxic, hypoallergenic, and safe for kids to use. It works without phosphates or harmful chlorine. and the bottles are made from 100% post consumer recycled pet plastic. Even the paper labels are made from recycled paper.
9. Scotch-Brite Non-Scratch Scrub Sponges: Love that these natural fiber scrub pads are available everywhere now (it’s sometimes hard to find green products in my smaller market.) Since they are made from natural ingredients like wood pulp and nut shells, we can throw them in our compost when they are worn out.
10. Aluminum Foil: I save my aluminum foil that can’t be reused and use it to scrub pans in a pinch. It is one of the best tricks I know. Leaves your pans sparkly and free of scratches!!
What are your favorite green cleaners?