Somehow pot roast always ends up befuddling me. I buy it on sale and then it sits in the fridge staring at me, just daring me to make it. “Kate, you know you are going to dry me out!” it coos whenever I dare reach for it. So for this #PinterestRemakes challenge, I decided to tackle one of the many many Italian pot roast recipes I have pinned over the years.
The problem is that so many of them seem to be meat only. And I am lazy. So I wanted to incorporate a veggie too. That way it’s a complete meal. Read on for my simple Italian pot roast recipe.
-3 lb pot roast
-2 Tbsp fresh minced garlic
-1 stick butter
-2 tsp fresh rosemary
-2 tsp fresh thyme
-1 cup red wine
-1 cup beef broth
-1 can tomato paste
-small bag of baby carrots
1. Preheat the oven to 275, then heat the stovetop to medium hot. Take a dutch over or large cast iron pan and add one fourth of the butter and 1/2 Tbsp of rosemary. Salt and pepper the pot roast. Sear the pot roast until browned on all sides. Remove to plate.
2. Add one fourth of butter and a splash of wine to pan and deglaze (basically scrape the pan with a wooden spatula until there are no browned bits of meat sticking to the pan.)
3. Place the pot roast back into the pan. Combine the wine, the rest of the herbs, and beef broth then stir in the tomato paste. Pour over the pot roast. Then put pan in the oven and roast for an hour and a half.
4. At the hour and a half mark, add the bag of baby carrots and the rest of the butter. Roast for another hour and a half.
Remove pan and let rest. Gently shred beef into broth. Serve in bowls with crusty bread.
To level up, after removing the pan from the oven, take the pot roast out and put it on a plate. Stir a package of fresh spinach into the broth and carrots until the spinach is just melted. Serve with carrots and pot roast over polenta.
I’m part of a group of bloggers that remakes pins we find on Pinterest to make them our own. For more fun Pinterest Remakes projects, visit a few of my favorite bloggers:
- How to Make Homemade Febreze for Spring Freshness by Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Spring Rolls with Black Bean Noodles by Upstate Ramblings
- Easter Oreo Fudge Recipe by Mom Always Finds Out
- Bacon Garlic Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Balsamic Glaze by Day by Day in Our World
- Beef Enchilada Casserole by Just 2 Sisters
- DIY Lavender Hand Soap by Home and Garden Cafe
- Homemade Strawberry Vinegar by 2Boys+1Girl=OneCrazyMom
- Blueberry Banana Oatmeal Bowl by Sincerely Mindy
- Carrot Patch Brownie Bowls by Sugar, Spice and Family Life
- Easter Eggs Coloring Page Free Printable by Baby Loving Mama