We spend a lot of summer afternoons inside avoiding the sun (my kids burn in a snap.) So I am always looking for fun ideas to keep them occupied. We got into building fairy gardens outside awhile back but they just aren’t as fun inside. So our Summer favorite is building terrariums.
They are perfect for long afternoons and if you do them properly, easy to maintain and change out. This dinosaur version is a favorite of ours. Your kiddo will love tackling this project inspired by Katie Elzer Peters’s book Miniature Gardens. I have modified this one to be “faux” because who wants to worry about taking care of plants on lazy Summer days?
- Imitation moss (easy to obtain from Michaels)
- Polished stones
- Dinosaur figures
- Miniature fake ferns, palm trees (we use fish tank ones)
- Play sand
A container that looks large when not filled with plants and soil turns tiny when “planted”. Look for accessories, including figurines that are less than 2 inches long for larger terrariums and ½ to 1 inch long for smaller terrariums. This container in the picture is a clear candy jar from the craft store (8 inches tall and 7 inches in diameter.)
Where the Dinosaurs Roam Terrarium Step by Step
1. Fill the bottom of the container with ½ to 1 inch of rocks.
2. Add the play sand on top of rocks, start with 1-2 inches of potting mix. This does not seem like much, but it is easier to start with a little, then add as needed to level out.
3. Place the plants and accessories. Use a teaspoon to add sand to hold in place as needed.
4. Place the cover on the terrarium and enjoy.
As the summer goes on, we like to add rocks and items we collect to our terrariums. Be sure to thoroughly wash items and dry in direct sun before adding. Enclosed spaces are mold friendly, especially in summer humidity.
For more fun creative summer ideas, check out a few of my favorite blogs.
- Iced Rhubarb Tea from Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Spinach Smoothies from A Mom’s Take
- DIY Solar Lamp from Simply Southern Mom
- Strawberry Pops from Mom on the Side
- Frozen Hot Chocolate from Home and Garden Cafe
- DIY Natural Wood Planter for Father’s Day from Our Family World
- Mason Jar Dirt Pudding by Better in Bulk
- Patriotic Whoopie Pies by How Was Your Day?
- Grilled Asparagus with Parmesan by Day by Day in Our World
- How to Make a Fairy Garden by Momma D Jane
- Make Your Own Summer Scent by Style on Main
- Cheese Stuffed Grilled Ranch Bacon Burger by Mom Does It All
- No Churn Caramel Ice Cream by My So Called Balanced Life
- Grilled Loaded Fries & Fresh Strawberry Lemonade perfect Summer snack idea by Two Boys One Girl and a Crazy Mom
- Picnic Perfect Patriotic Berry Trifle by About a Mom
- Easy Potato Salad by Upstate Ramblings
- DIY Flip Flops by This Mama Loves