Oh Valentine’s Day, you heart filled candy floss of a day. You know, most of the time I just ain’t feeling it. Fortunately I have given up on it and just surrendered to the Christmas Revenge that the day has become for the littles.
But for those of you that are love lorn are just want to throw things at the TV due to everyone who got flowers at the store today, here are my favorite anti-love stories, in suggested watching order. This Valentine’s Day marathon will make you HAPPY to not be in love!
1.Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: See how bad relationships can be? People are literally paying to forget them. Yes, there is a weirdly happy ending where the soulmates comes together which may make you think that you just need one more go. Which is why next on the list is…
2. 500 Days of Summer: Now you’re like can it be that bad? Yes, friends it can be. Because if Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel can’t make it, what hope is there for the rest of us. I mean these two are made in twee heaven to go together. Alas, as the prototype wise little sister says: “Just because she likes the same bizarro crap you do doesn’t mean she is your soul mate.” I find this film an excellent reminder that it wasn’t you or that you didn’t try hard enough. Sometimes stuff just doesn’t work. And it’s the perfect piece of pop to take you into…
3. Closer: I remember watching this in the movie and falling in love with Clive Owen. And then coming out of the theater very, very unsettled and looking at my date with horror. Love hurts, lies, manipulates you, and basically ruins your life along the way. This is the lessons that the interwoven stories of Close teach us. Oh and that Clive Owen is super sexy even at his lowest point. They should make him the next Bond. But I digress, now that you are truly down take a gander at…
4. The First Wives Club: This movie has fallen by the wayside for some reason. Sad because it stars some of the best female actresses (Bette! Diane! Goldie!) and it’s based on a book by one of my favorite beach read authors, Olivia Goldsmith. However, its true power lies in the awesome revenge plot where the ladies come out on top (the book is even better.) You need a few laughs at the end of the night. As you fall asleep, put on…
5. High Fidelity: another movie based on an awesome book and starring everyone’s crush, John Cusack. He spends the movie reliving his worst breakups which is some kind of comfort. And he reminds you in life that you always have your friends and good music even if it makes you miserable. “What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?” Just fall asleep before the happy ending.
So those are my misery movies, what are yours?
For more Valentine’s Day entertainment ideas, visit a few of my favorite bloggers:
- The Best Dystopian Love Stories to Curl Up With by In Our Spare Time
- 4 Fun Texting Games for Couples on the Go by Philzendia
- Valentine’s Day Scavenger Hunt Printable for Kids by Food Fun Family
- The Perfect Romantic Playlist for your Valentine Getaway by Jennifer Sikora
- 20 Favorite Clean Romance Books I’ve Reviewed by Day by Day in Our World
- Awesome Romantic Movies on Netflix by Mom on the Side
- Valentine’s Day Movies on Netflix for Families by Our Family World
- Paranormal Love Stories that aren’t Totally Cheesy by Pretty Opionated
- Printable Valentine’s Day Word Search by MommaDJane
- 7 Movies That Will Give You All The Feels on Valentine’s Day by My Teen Guide
- Valentine Books for Kids by Optimistic Mommy
- Our Favorite Movie Quotes About Love by Style on Main
- 8 Totally Awesome Valentine’s Day Movies to Watch by How Was Your Day
- Valentine’s Day Nonfiction by SMS Nonfiction Book Reviews
- 25 Valentine’s Day Movies for Family Movie Night by Stuffed Suitcase
- 8 Free Printable Valentine’s Day Games by Gaggle of Gamers
- Anti-Love Stories by The Guavalicious Life
- 10 Sweet Valentine’s Day Books for Preschoolers by Views from the Ville