Recently I devoured Gretchen Rubin’s Happier at Home. I love self help books, but they do often make me a little depressed. Because the thought of doing all of this improvements makes me want to take a nap. So my favorite part of Happier at Home was when she suggested something I am already doing… a Valentine’s Day breakfast.
Special breakfasts are my favorite because of the no pressure atmosphere. The kids haven’t had time to get all hyped up. They literally stumble their way to the table and are awed by the confetti, balloons, and unusual food. When they are normally greeted by a bowl of cereal, it doesn’t take much.
And then the evening is free for a romantic date with the husband. Or more likely a night of us sitting around eating the candy from the girls’ school valentines.
Want to do your own table? Resources below the cut!
I do the set up the night before. The only special thing I recommend buying is a red or pink tablecloth at the dollar store because it makes clean up a snap! For decorations, keep it simple with pink and red flowers in a vase and cut out hearts scattered on the table. Or if you’re lazy, buy some heart confetti and throw it everywhere (remember that plastic tablecloth!) I use photo holders to hold their cards and mark their places; these heart ones from Pier 1 Imports would be perfect!
A few years ago I splashed out and got heart plates and glasses. Which I highly recommend. Yes, they are only used once a year. But darn do they spark joy. And make setting the table easy. My Pottery Barn ones are out of date but these Crate and Barrel heart plates are simple enough to use year after year for kids and adults.
For the menu you can go all out with heart shaped eggs, heart shaped bacon, and heart shaped cinnamon roll twists along with dyed milk. And though those recipes are pretty easy, I have also wowed with Horizon strawberry milk boxes and pop tarts with icing hearts piped on them. And then I only had to get up about five minutes early.
For more Valentine’s Day ideas, visit a few of my favorite bloggers:
- How to Make Rose Water by Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- A Valentine’s Day Breakfast by The Guavalicious Life
- Salted Caramels by How Was Your Day?
- Valentine’s Day Krispies Treats by This Mama Loves
- Homemade Strawberry Syrup for Flavorful Delights by Day by Day in Our World
- Pom Pom Valentine’s Day Craft for Kids by Our Family World
- French Vanilla Raspberry Italian Cream Soda by Pretty Opinionated
- Epsom Salts DIY Valentine’s Candles by A Day in Motherhood
- Chocolate Honey Lip Scrub by The Socialite’s Closet
- Hugs and Kisses Valentine’s Cupcakes by Simply Southern Mom
- Printable Valentine’s Day Scavenger Hunt by Mom on the Side
- Box of Chocolates Cake by Kids Fun Reviewed
- Cranberry Hootycreek – Valentine’s Day Cookies by MommaDJane
- Dark Chocolate Granola by Food Fun Family
- Valentine’s Day “Love Lives Here” Decorative House Craft by Sincerely Mindy
- Hand Sewn Valentine Cards by Beyond Mommying
- No Bake Choco-Date Cookies for Valentine’s Day by Mommy Snippets
- DIY Heart Stamp for Kids by Family Focus Blog
- DIY Peppermint Chocolate Bark Favors by A Bride on a Budget
- Day Out With Daddy Jar by Sweet Lil You
- No Sew Fringed Scarf for Him – or Her! by Style on Main
- Strawberry Shortcake in a Jar by 2Boys+1Girl=OneCrazyMom
- Valentine’s Day Oreo Hearts by Gator Mommy Reviews