In honor of the Toyota Prius C that is going to arrive in my driveway today, here is a list of ten things you didn’t know you could recycle!
- Dryer Lint: We collect ours and throw it straight into our compost pile. Don’t have a compost pile? Grab a plastic trash can, punch some holes in the bottom, and voila… compost bin! We don’t even use ours for anything fancy. We just throw it in our front beds. It’s mainly so we can recycle leaves, kitchen scraps, and of course lint!
- Eyeglasses: It’s tempting to throw those old frames in the trash when you upgrade, but resist the urge! Several groups recycle eyeglasses by distributing them to people in need. Ask your optomologist if she particpates in a program. If she doesn’t, here is a place where you can mail them in.
- Yoga mats: Don’t throw your mat in the trash once it is all asanaed out. Instead, send it to Recycle Your Mat. Here are 50 more ways to reuse it.
- Torn/Stained Clothing: I like to cut old tshirts up into cleaning rags, but I take everything else to Goodwill in a bag marked stained/torn. They bundle the scraps and sell them.
- Pizza Boxes: These usually get tossed because you can’t recycle cardboard that has oil stains. But more and more pizzerias are getting hip to this fact and using paper liners that absorb that nasty oil. Even if yours doesn’t, take a minute and cut around the oil stains.
- Tech Junk: Still have AOL cds knocking around the house? Relieve your guilt by sending them to Green Disk. It will cost you but won’t it be worth it to have old cords, hard drives, etc. out of your closets?
- Peanut Butter Jars: Guess what? Plastic and glass doesn’t have to be perfectly clean to be recycled. So give them a swish or two and throw them in the bin.
- Plastic Wrap: With kids, we are awash in plastic wrap. Because evidently a toy can’t leave the production factory without being shrink wrapped tight as a drum.
- Drink Packets: Your kids addicted to Capri Sun? Get them in the habit of recycling by finding the nearest TerraCycle collection bin. They take those old drink packets and make them into cool things.
- Hotel Keys: Who else is guilty of leaving the hotel with card keys? Send them off to EarthWorks (along with any old gift cards you have lying around and clear your conscience.
Disclosure: I am part of the Toyota Women Influence Network. I have not been compensated for this post. Opinions are my own.